Saturday, December 7, 2013

Daniel Malcolm Bethune Life Story

My great grandfather, Neil Bethune, left Scotland in the latter part of the eighteenth century and settled in Montgomery County, North Carolina. My grandfather, Daniel Bethune, born 19th of December, 1799, came down to Kershaw County, South Carolina, when a young man and married Christian McCaskill 18 Feb 1841 who was born in Scotland Apr. 1810.  The large majority of the descendants live in that same section of the County which is known as Bethune, S.C. having been given that name about 1900 in honor of my father at a reception in Richmond, Va. for that purpose by the  Seaboard Air Line Railroad.

My father Daniel Murdock Bethune was born in Kershaw County 20 Feb. 1845, married Esther Catherine McCaskill born in 1847 in Chesterfield County near Jefferson S.C. 16 Jan.1868. I am their oldest child born 19 Dec 1868. I was christened in Presbyterian Church. They had 2 sons and 4 daughters Dan Sallie Mary Maggie Al & Kate. My mother died at birth of youngest—Kate—at age 32. I was only 12 and this was my first real grief. I felt her loss keenly.

I had little schooling – went 3 years to a one teacher school ten weeks each year. In my late teens, however I went to Atlanta Ga. with money I had saved from working and took a Business course. I was offered a job at the school but refused and came home after I finished.

Our home was of moderate means as result of War between the States. Sherman burned nearly everything they couldn’t carry away. My father was in S.C. House of Representatives during Reconstruction Days and he said there were Negroes in there couldn’t read or write their names. He also fought in the War – went in at age sixteen. He said the South went through some terrible times during that period. My father was left several thousand acres of land by his great Aunt Katie McCaskill and was land poor with no slaves to work it. Some families stayed on with us though.

My grandmother’s people –McCaskills – were cattle raisers, had turpentine business and were rice planters. My father grew rice and irrigated the field ____ creek. Cotton was the main crop. My father was a devout Presbyterian and taught us the Catechism and Bible at home. We had family prayers morning and night. My home tasks were attending sheep cattle and farming. I had a pet _____.
(As told to Mac)


(P.S. by Louise) I married Emma Jane Thomas 6 Sept 1897 at her home on a Monday morning. We met at  Pine Tree Presbyterian Church in Kershaw County while she was visiting. She winked at me during a prayer and our courtship began. We lived in or near Bethune, _________, & Clyde before moving to my wife’s homeplace after her mother’s death. By that time we had 3 children (girls) and 3 more were born later - Janie Kate, Bessie, Mac, Louise, Mary, and Faye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment