Friday, November 22, 2013

Mary's (and Patricia) Letter to Emma Jane Thomas Bethune

Jan

Dear mama

We were so sorry to know you Had the flu. Hope You and Papa are well now. I Had the flu too. I Have been out of school a week.

Sunday
Well we wrote for one hour + she was so tired we had to quit. But she didn't want me to finish it + she never did get time. I really am ashamed of myself + its not ____(that?) I haven't thought of you all lot but she was sick + Howard went to Atlanta last Sunday + stayed until Tues night. And of course she hasn't been to school yet - But we did go to Bessie's today. Howard has some work to do so wouldn't go but the children + I went + stayed a few hours. Hugh is still in bed but he looks so well. Bessie was telling me Phil has been sick  I do hope he is all right now.

Please someone write + let us know - + if Faye has gone back. How is Papa? I can't remember hearing of so much sickness. There are so many children out of school. So far Howdy hasn't gotten anything but a cold + cough. Bessie said Carolyn hasn't been out either. Tell them all we are so sorry they have all been sick + do hope they are better now - Can't say when we will be home. soon as possible ___(tho?)  Love to all  Mary



(Note: This was likely written in January 1938.)

No comments:

Post a Comment